Separation is a legal arrangement for spouses to live separately without formally divorcing. Separation agreements address many of the same issues as a divorce, including child support, child custody and parenting time, spousal support and property division.
Exploring Your Divorce Alternatives
Legal separation is a less final means of resolving marital difficulties than a divorce. Legal separation has some advantages over divorce, including:
- No grounds need be stated to pursue legal separation
- Religious reasons
- Legal separation can set parameters for the couple while living separately, especially in regard to continuing support obligations and child sharing issues.
- By remaining married, a door is left open for a resumption of marriage.
A separation agreement can bind parties to terms regarding finances, assets, living arrangements, childcare, parenting time and many other factors involved in a separation.
At the law office of Jay S. Baum, we have personally handled over 3,000 divorce and separation cases, and we are skilled in drafting separation agreements that fully meet the needs of individuals and families. Our approach involves:
- Meeting with you to discuss the reasons for the separation and the terms that will best match your goals
- Reviewing the facts of your situation
- Drafting a separation agreement that maximizes the benefits you seek through separation
We also review separation agreements drafted by other attorneys.