Domestic Violence

Staten Island Domestic Violence Attorney

Staten Island — New York — New Jersey

Domestic violence and divorce unfortunately often go together. Often, divorce is pursued because of problems with domestic abuse. Anger over unwanted divorce proceedings can tip a spouse toward committing abuse, even when he or she was not violent prior to divorce proceedings. False charges of domestic violence are often leveled in divorce proceedings by one spouse seeking to get the "upper hand."

If you or your children are victims of domestic violence, there are laws in place to protect your safety and your rights. If you are falsely accused of domestic violence, you are entitled to your day in Court. The family law offices of Jay S. Baum can help you.

Domestic Violence Is Illegal and Should Not Be Tolerated. We Can Help.

Lawyer Jay Baum has helped hundreds of spouses, partners, and children in instances of domestic violence. A first step once we are contacted is to file for an Order of Protection, which directs the abusing spouse or parent to obey conditions of behavior. Quite often, exclusion from the home is one of these conditions.

If you feel you are in serious danger, we can also file for a temporary order of protection, which can immediately exclude the abusive person from the home.

No one should have to live in fear. Even if circumstances do not allow permanent removal of an abuser from the home, there are other behavior restrictions that can often be put into place to provide peace, including refraining from using alcohol, refraining from disorderly conduct, and refraining from committing harassment.

If you are falsely accused of domestic violence, we will get you your day in Court and present the true facts to the Judge.


If you have questions regarding divorce, domestic violence or spousal abuse, contact the Law Offices of Jay S. Baum. We are available for weekend and evening appointments, accept credit cards and are located in the heart of New Dorp opposite the New Dorp train station. To contact a lawyer, call 718-980-5200.