Staten Island Child Support Lawyer
Child support is one of the least flexible areas in family law. The amount of child support which the noncustodial parent pays is determined by the court through a mathematical formula.
Nonetheless, parents have some "room to maneuver" in proceedings and disputes involving the determination of child support payment amounts. For instance:
- Has interest and investment income been accounted for?
- Is one of the parents receiving money from a family member?
- Have annual bonuses and overtime pay been included in income calculations?
- Is one of the parents moonlighting, and, if so, has he or she reported the additional income?
- Can income be imputed to the noncustodial parent?
- Has the income of the noncustodial parent been artificially inflated by virtue of a one time only bonus or retroactive pay?
At the family law offices of Jay S. Baum, we have handled over 3,000 divorce cases, and have helped families across New York and New Jersey fight for and win fair child support payments.
Helping Families and Parents Pay and Receive Fair and Affordable Child Support Payments in New York and New Jersey
If you anticipate being the custodial parent and receiving child support payments, we can work to ensure that the full income of the noncustodial parent is brought to the court's attention, so that the child support you receive is fair. If you anticipate paying child support, we can work to ensure that your monthly payments are in the best interest of your child and that they are fair and affordable.
We also handle cases involving the modification of child support. A substantial change in income, the medical or financial needs of your child, a relocation or other factors may justify a modification to the child support arrangements.
If you have questions regarding child support, modifications or support enforcement, contact the Law Offices of Jay S. Baum. We are available for weekend and evening appointments, accept credit cards and are located in the heart of New Dorp opposite the New Dorp train station. To contact us, call 718-980-5200.